A beautiful example of our Victorian architecture, the eye hospital, situated on The corner of Edmund St and Church St was built in 1883. It was built when the hospital, founded in 1823 and first located on Cannon Street, was no longer fit for purpose. The eye hospital had moved premises three times and eventually the Church St hospital was designed and purpose built for the eye hospital. It continued to serve the city and its surrounding area for over 100 years when in 1996 it was closed and the service was moved to what is now City Hospital on Dudley Road. Fortunately, the lovely old building wasn’t empty for long and it opened in 2000 as a luxury hotel.