William Bloye born in 1890 was a Birmingham sculpture who trained and later taught at the Birmingham School of Art. His plaque joins more than 75 other blue plaques around the city which are awarded by the Birmingham Civic Society to commemorate a link between a location and famous person. The recipients of Blue Plaques have to have been dead for at least 20 years to be eligible.
William Bloye’s blue plaque is located at the site of the sculptor’s former studio where City College Birmingham’s Golden Hillock Campus now stands to mark 120 years since his birth. Bloye was Birmingham’s unofficial civic sculptor, working on virtually all public commissions including libraries, hospitals and the university. Some examples of his work below: